Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crockpot Beef Manhattan

Not long ago, I started recipe planning in order to be more purposeful in our grocery purchases. I have even went so far as to make a binder containing a list of all the meals that I make often and the recipes for those I don't have memorized. Beef Manhattan wasn't on my list but was a request from my hubby. This recipe is a hodge podge of a few different recipes so I suppose that makes it my own original!

Crockpot Beef Manhattan
Ingredients:
2 lbs. Cube Steak
2 small onions
seasoned salt
salt & pepper
water
stick of butter
worchestire sauce
package of brown gravy mix
jar of beef gravy

Slice the onions into rings. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a skillet then saute the onions until they are nice and brown.....


Meanwhile, slice your cube steak in long strips against the grain. See how the lines in the meat are running left to right? Slice it up to down... Then sprinkle it with seasoned salt on both sides.

Here are the onions all yummy and brown...



Then add those onions to the bottom of the crockpot. I guess you probably don't have to saute them before but I did.


Now melt about 2 tbsp of butter in the same skillet you sauteed the onions in. Place the strips of cube steak in and brown for 2 minutes on each side.

Let's not talk about what this looks like...


Add the meat onto the onions in the crockpot along with 4 tbsp of butter and worchestire sauce. I used around 4 tbsp of worchestire sauce but that is up to you how much you put in. Personally, I love that stuff! Also add about a half cup water.



Cover and cook on low for around 6 hours. You want this to practically fall apart when you poke it with a fork. I think the crockpot is the best way to cook cube steak no matter what recipe you are using. Otherwise, it is really difficult to get the meat tender.




About 15-30 minutes before you are ready to serve it, add in the brown gravy packet, the jar of beef gravy and salt /pepper to taste. This is what it will look like. It still looks...well...let's say it doesn't taste like what it looks like!





My husband says that this is how he has been served Beef Manhattan. There is one piece of bread cut into 2 triangles, a scoop of mashed potatoes in the middle, and then the meat/gravy on top of all that. I used the Steam n Mash potatoes in the freezer section. Yes, I could get a whole bag full of potatoes for what I paid for one bag of the Steam n Mash. But not having to peel potatoes is worth the extra money.
I have to say it was VERY tasty and is now part of our menu planning list!



Obviously, this is not the healthiest dish. Next time I make this, I believe that I will try to cut the butter use in half by using evoo to saute the onions and meat. That definitely won't make it super healthy but every little bit helps, right?








1 comment:

sarah said...

there's actually green on that plate! we almost never eat veggies lol - it's so bad. thankfully when we have kids, formula and baby food will initially be providing those nutrients. ;)

and aren't those buttery unhealthy meals the best?! mmmm. this looks delicious!