Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What do I want to be when I grow up...

When I think of my future, as in "What I Want to be When I Grow Up" I still really don't know. Maybe that is because we are always in a process of growing and changing. When I was younger, I wanted to marry a Christian man, be a Mom, and be a dental hygienist. So far so go. But who knew that I would soon be a Mom to 4 kids!

So do Mom's of 4 kids really work outside the home?? I guess in my mind, I stereotype Moms of large families as stay-at-home Moms who are totally devoted to their husband and kids. I now find myself preparing breaking my own stereotype and am not really sure how I feel about that. Sure, most days it would be a whole lot easier not to drive a half hour to work, put in my day, then come home and start my second "job" of the day. However, I enjoy my job and am fortunate that I make a decent salary with excellent benefits - both of which we depend upon. When I leave work at the end of the day, I don't feel as if I have just wasted 6-8 hours of my life. I feel like I have made the difference in a life of a child, who isn't even my own flesh and blood. In the US today, I honestly should be thankful to have a job period even if it is for a near bankrupt state!

So what does the future hold? I really couldn't tell you. I know that God will show the way as it comes. I used to think that in a professional sense, I wanted to be a dental hygiene instructor. That is still partly true. I would love to be a clinical instructor however, I'm losing the desire to teach didactic classes and I have absolutely no desire at this time to attempt to be a tenure track instructor. In my position at SIU now, I feel lucky to observe what I thought I would like to do in the future from the outside. I get to see what is really involved with being an instructor for what it really is. There is a WHOLE lot that goes on that I never realized as a student. At this point, there is no way that I could handle that as a Mom of almost 4! In our family life I would love to say that things will remain the same even after #4 makes his/her appearance but that would be very naive. A baby changes everything. Money will be tighter, rivalry will be stronger, the house will be messier, but I can tell you there will be even more love!

1 comment:

Alicia Gregg said...

I love you guys! I'm excited to meet baby 4... and who cares about stereotypes. You just worry about where God is leading you. Look at Aimee Mihalyov... huge family... works full time!