Thursday, March 27, 2008

Overwhelmed

That pretty much how I feel most of the time. Looking back over the past year I have had so many changes. Finished my BS degree, had a baby, worked a temp job with great people, found out my temp job was going to be permanent at the same time a job opened at SIU, got the job at SIU, began the mental shift of my former professors now being my peers and friends, attempted to adjust to 75% time work that really seems like full-time, bought a new used car, broke my elbow, cait started with ear infections, Mom broke her ankle, another ear infection for cait, Eli has strep throat, another ear infection for cait, I was sick in there somewhere, Shawn gets strep throat, Eli doesn't get rid of strep throat the first time, another ear infection for cait, numerous snow or rain days that reek havoc on my schedule at work.........wow, that is a lot.

Many of those things are minor but when they pile up on one another, it starts to take me over. It's a wonder I haven't went looney!

Then, in a month or so I will be leaving my family for a 3 day National Oral Health conference in Miami. Now, it will be nice to have a break and get some "me" time. I have never been to Florida. It is all major expenses paid so it isn't a burden financially. But, away from the kids for 3 days? I'm sure they will survive. Maybe they will appreciate me more? And lets not forget that I have only flown once in my lifetime....and it was a short flight. I don't even remember if I was nauseated or not. Should be interesting. I'm kind of nervous about that. And I'm sad that I don't get to share seeing the ocean with the kids and especially Shawn. Apparently it can be seen from my hotel. I always thought we would see that together. But, from what I understand I better get used to flying if I want a future in education - they fly everywhere for conferences! Then at the conferences I will continue on the mind-shift of seeing my former professors as my peers and friends. I will be rooming with them - how strange! I guess the idea that your teachers aren't real people extends even into college. I do know better.

Oh and lets not forget that at this conference we will be hosting a "roundtable luncheon" to talk about school based sealant programs. Yeah - never done that before. Apparently it is no big deal but that is coming from tenured profs who do similar kind of things all the time. I so do not feel like I know my stuff enough to get up there and talk. Let alone be so out of my comfort zone with the trip already. Another thing to stress about.

Yeah, those last paragraphs were very random but it felt good to get out. I'm just overwhelmed with all that plus a baby that still has an ear infection. Oh and soccer season has started back up so we will spend several nights and all Saturday mornings in Pinckneyville while both Eli and Lainey play soccer. It is great for them and we enjoy watching them. But it makes our week very hectic and is pricey with the cost of gas.

I do love my job though. It is the perfect job I never knew I wanted! My boss is great most of the time. I love the little kids we work on. The students haven't been too bad yet......well maybe one of them. The pay is ok but the benefits are awesome! I couldn't ask for better hours and the flexibility is out of this world. The fact that other than Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings are the only days that are set in stone is wonderful. I can come and go as I please as long as I get the 28 hours in and the work done. I am truely blessed with the job even if it takes me out of my comfort zone by making me fly.

Hmmmmm.....ok I think I am done. I do know God is in control of all this and is going to work everything out. Sometimes I guess I like to waller around in my problems like a pig in a mud puddle........

2 comments:

Kara said...

I barely manage with one most days and so I admire you working like you do and have three children. I am amazed at what God has enabled mothers to do and He is there in it ALL!

Hugs to you momma!

Shel said...

Awww - thanks for the encouragement! I needed that!

I am soooo ready to have a new camera!! Soccer season is starting and I want so bad to take nice clear and crisp pictures. Your pictures are awesome!