Back to a regular week now....hhmmmph....
We had a great weekend - thanks Nana K, Bill, the aunts and significant others!
So the weekend in review -
The Abraham Lincoln Museum didn't go over as well as Shawn hoped it would. He was quite disappointed to tell you the truth. We expected D to really dig it but she didn't. The first scene that she saw was one that depicted a slave family being torn apart by two slaveowners with a little boy in the middle pulling at his Momma's dress as he was being taken away with his Daddy. Oh, that just broke her heart and mine too but I am old enough to recover quickly. All the injustices done to black people...... But anyways, I do believe that she is a bit claustraphobic (like her Momma) and walking through the exhibits with no escape was a bit much for her. E is still too young to understand what it was all about. Shawn did do a good job of explaining things to them though - I could totally see him working at a place like that spilling out blurbs of history to passerbys! All the kids did enjoy the play room though! I will post some pics of the kids later with their activities in the playroom.
I thought the museum was really neat though. The wax figures of people were so life like that if they were decked out in the historical clothing, they could be mistaken for a person just standing there. I think that I would like to go back sometime without kids so that I can actually take time to read everything that was displayed. Cait didn't care much for the stroller ride through any of the exhibits so I was able to take the time to read.
But the trip there really helped to break up the trip! Kuddos to Shawn for the idea even though he didn't think the kids got much out of it. After we got to our destination we had a nice dinner and got to spend some time with Nana K and Bill! We stayed at the home of the comfy beds and cushy comforters - yes, the Hampton! If you would ask E where we stayed he would say the Tipton..hahaha...if you watch "The Suite Life of Zac & Cody" you would find the humor in it.
The next day was yard day & July 4th! E & D had such a blast hanging out in the backyard. We played some yard games, kicked a ball around, ate food made by the grill master and his assistant - all around good time! The kids got some sun. Cait's eczema spot on her face seemed to clear up some thanks to all the sun and possibly doggy slobber. Poor Cait - their new doggy Bear just had a facination for her! If Cait and the dog were on the loose at the same time, you could guarantee that the dog was with Cait trying to get in her face. D finally got to open her b'day gifts - which she loved them all! She is now a proud owner of an MP3 player. Now if Mommy would just load her some music on it!
That night Shawn has an unusual thing happen to him. We went back to the hotel around 9 because C was getting sleepy. We were both kind of hungry so we stopped by Taco Bell for a snack (and a yummy mango strawberry frutista freeze - yummmmmm). When we get back to the hotel room, we realized that they didn't give us silverware for my fresco chicken bowl! Grr.... So after Shawn eats, I send him down to the lobby to grab some silverware from the breakfast bar area. As he is down there, the Cardinals game is ending. Then there is talk about some Cardinals coach and some people say jokingly that they heard that DQ was bringing him in as a coach! Mind you we are 4 1/2 hours from our hometown of DQ! Then another guy says "Oh don't start with that - nothing good has ever come out of DQ!" - paraphrased by me and meaning their athletic program. So Shawn very tactfully says something to the point of to the guy "Speaking as the girls basketball and track coach, we have some pretty good kids that come out of DQ!" Now how strange is that - we would be 4 1/2 hours from home and Shawn would just happen to be going down to the lobby because Taco Bell forgot to give us silverware and he would be standing there when some guy sticks his foot in his mouth about DQ in front of a teacher/coach from DQ!
On the 5th, we did a little shopping to start our day off. D & E did the playing in the backyard with the cow thingy - lots of fun and a little sunburn! That night we went to see the fireworks at the mall - amazing! D & E thought it was great too. Cait - ummm not so much. Shawn had to take her into the hotel room and finally ended up giving her a bath to calm her down. We had the perfect seats - in the grass behind our hotel. The fireworks were being shot of right behind the hotel adjacent to ours. I don't think I have ever been that close before. It really was a site!
On the 6th we had a nice breakfast at Cracker Barrel with the whole family. We really appreciated all of them getting up early to see us off! It's always bittersweet to leave there. Sad to leave the family and all the fun that we have while we are there but then on the other hand, good to get back to our normal routine. E, the child who normally has the bladder of a camel, decides he needs to stop just 30 minutes into the ride to go potty! Then again after we get lunch! Poor guy - Shawn said he was serious though. We did stop in Tuscola and do a tad bit of shopping. We got Cait 6 onesies for $6 at the Carters store!!!! Love carter's onesies! Then they have a new Bath & Body Works outlet there - love it! It is like their annual sale but all the time - $3 & $5 lotions, gels, etc.! But I was good and only spent $3 on a lotion :) I didn't take the time to go there, but I saw that they have a Coldwater Creek outlet - we will hit that next time!
I think we got home around 5-ish. The kids were happy to go to M&P's for their chocolate milk fix and for E his computer fix! We actually didn't get settled until 8:30 or so because we had Bible study.
So that is the weekend in review!!! I will post some pics when I get them downloaded!
No comments:
Post a Comment